Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Ethiopian Food - When trying new things goes wrong

Trying new food is something I keep coming back to since I was once of those people who didn't eat Sushi until about a year ago and now love it. So when Burn threw out the idea of Ethiopian food, he caught my attention. When he mention that you eat all the food with sponge bread (Injera), I was in. I mean I eat all my food with bread now. I like dipping my bread in everything - it's a european conditioning.

Anyway, we get to Awash in Columbia City, order a combo platter for $18 (feeds three people - great price) and wait 55 minutes for our food. I think it's recommended you pre-order food since it looked like one of the tables did that... not sure. Here's a quick video of the platter and the restaurant:



The food is pretty good - really unique (Burn jump in here with a better foodie description). What killed me was the Injera. Injera is cold, kind of moist bread that kind of masks the flavor of the food and if you're a rookie, you'll use too much Injera to collect your food (scoop it, whatever) - making a stomach ache of some kind inevitable. I feel like I would have had a better experience if I had a fork or spoon at the table. Even though utensils weren't brought over, just Injera, I could I have probably commandeered some.

Here's some video of my Nemesis - Injera.



All in all - glad I tried it so I have a point of reference, but 10 hours after eating it, I still don't feel right.